2011年11月25日星期五

Highfalutin Prostitutin

Interest piqued by that suggestive title? Well, it is my brilliant translation of the bubble tea flavor "贵妃" (literally meaning imperial concubine). Faced with the insurmountable task of ever topping this linguistic delight, I hereby retire from the world of translation with a perfect 100% flawless translation record.

If you are a faithful follower of my blatherings then you definitely remember my love affair with bubble tea last summer. With Emily here this time keeping an eye on me, though, we've had to cool things down a little bit, but we still see each other once or twice a week. Perhaps the real reason I don't go as often is related to my coworker telling me he doesn't touch the fake bubble tea stuff because nothing in it is real. All you are getting is a cocktail of flavor-modifiers and various other stuff that doesn't do your body good. I'm not sure I totally believe it, but apparently I'm wary enough to cut back on my consumption.

Now it is time for my serious, thought-provoking paragraph. In case you don't read the news, China has serious food quality issues. The most publicized examples are probably the "recycled" (read: fished out of the sewer) oil some restaurants use to cut costs, and the poisoned baby food scandal from a couple years ago. I asked my coworkers, and they said food safety is a top public concern, but the government still doesn't do much to improve things. They explained that the government is basically only interested in keeping the peace and growing the economy. Insignificant social complaints are not their concern (especially when they control all news outlets). I wonder how long the government can maintain this attitude and still keep the peace?

1 条评论:

  1. That is indeed dispiriting to learn that fun loving harmless little bubble tea has been corrupted, and not just recently it seems. B******s! What depths can they further sink too!

    回复删除