2011年11月2日星期三

Novel Novels

Lately I've been reading a lot. It's not what you think though -- it's way awesomer! I read about a genre of Chinese novels a while ago on one of my internet haunts, and soon thereafter bought one of the so-called Kung Fu novels. I picked one of most famous ones by the easier of the two most famous authors. (By "easy" I mean the author doesn't employ as many historical allusions and other hard-to-understand techniques that make the more difficult author harder for foreigners to fully understand.) Back then I was still in the US, so it took the full 8 weeks to receive the book. I meant to start reading it, but, you know, I didn't.

Not until after we came to Beijing, that is. I cracked it open, and man, was it fun. It's like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon but with way more cool Kung Fu and intrigue. The genre also embodies some of the enjoyable elements from "Kung Fu Hustle", like never being sure who the real Kung Fu master is. It was slow going at the start, but once I got used to the writing and the Kung Fu lexicon, I powered through the book at a pretty good clip. Now I am on my third novel by this author, and I ordered online the complete set of books by the other, more difficult author. Everyone seems to agree the harder author's books are much better, so I'm excited to give them a try.

Beyond improving my Chinese and being enjoyable, these books serve a third purpose. I now have something to talk about with just about every Chinese male I encounter! You see, these books are kind of like their Star Wars or Lord of the Rings - most guys read/loved/watched them as a kid. I also hear that you occasionally runs into references to these books in modern Chinese culture. Won't that be fun to finally "get" something without having to look it up!

1 条评论:

  1. How excellent to have an author that's fun to read and gains you so much beyond a simple pastime.

    回复删除